Notice: Array to string conversion in /home/articles/public_html/wp-content/plugins/insert-post-ads/apis/vi/api.php on line 490
After creating & customizing your site & publishing articles on it, it becomes quite important to submit your website to search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing etc as they are major source of traffic for a site. You can’t drive much of visitors to your website without the help of Search Engines. So here I am going to tell you that how to about uploading your website to search engines.
It is assumed that you have gone through the earlier tutorials and/or know well about how to create your website with wordpress & also know well about customizing your wordpress site. If you landed here directly & new to it, please read the following tutorials first:
INSTALLING YOAST SEO PLUGIN
- Firstly login to your wordpress dashboard.
- Click Plugins > Add New > Search for Yoast SEO.
- Now install the Yoast SEO plugin & activate it.
- Locate Yoast SEO (or simple SEO) in the Dashboard.
- There will be a lot of options. Locate Sitemap(s) & click on it.
- It will open a page like www.yourwebsite.com/sitemap_index.xml or something like it.
- Keep this tab open.
SIGNING UP FOR GOOGLE WEBMASTERS and SUBMITTING SITE TO GOOGLE SEARCH ENGINE
- In a new tab search “Google Webmaster”. Open the 1st
- Signup will your Gmail account.
- Submit your website address. It will ask you to verify your site.
- Download the .html file that they provide you.
- Now open your ftp client (e.g. Filezilla). If you do not have one, then download Filezilla from its official site. Alternatively you can install FireFTP in Mozilla Firefox.
- In your ftp client, Put your ftp information. E.g. If you are using Myownfreehost.net, you may have an email from them that contains your website information.
- In the Host name put yourwebsite.com
- In the Username & Password fields put your username & password. Do not put anything in Port & click Connect.
- Your Website files will open. Find htdocs (in myownfreehost.net) or public_html in any other hosting provider.
- In the left panel search for the .html file that you just downloaded. Drag it to your htdocs or public_html folder.
- After successful uploading, open the Google Webmaster panel in your browser & click verify. Wait till your site is verified.
- You will be redirected to Console Home page.
- In the right sidebar, click your website name.
- Now in the left sidebar, click crawl & then sitemap.
- In the sitemap page, click Add/Test a Sitemap.
- Put the sitemap address (site-map.xml) after your site name by copying it from your wordpress tab. (from the address bar just copy the address after / & not the whole site address. It will be sitemap_index.xml
- Click test sitemap. Refresh the page. If no errors are found then submit it
- Thats all!
- Additionally you may click the sitemap address that you got from Yoast SEO. You will find about 6 sitemaps (of posts, pages, categories, tags, media etc.)
- Submit all of them & you are done
- The same procedure goes will all other search engines.
- Open Bing Webmaster & signup. Upload the verification file in the same folder in the same way & click “verify” & submit all the sitemaps to it.
- After that just wait & watch.