Can One Pray for Others?
Allah says in Qur’an:
“That everyman receives only what he makes an effort for” [Al Qur’an 53:39]
Thus, some people, on the basis of this Verse, deny one’s prayers for others. But it is wrong.
Hazrat Ibn-e-Abbas (r.a.) said:
Following verse rescinded the above verse:
“And those who believed and whose descendants followed them in faith -We will join with them their descendants, and
We will not deprive them of anything of their deeds. Every person, for what he earned, is retained.”[Al Qur’an 52:21]
2. Allama Rabi bin Anas and Allama Sa’lbi said,”In the 1st verse [53:39] “Man” refers to “Pagan”. Pagan gets the reward of just when they does. There is no bounty on the day of judgement for them.
3. Allama Abu Bakar Waraq said,”In the 1st Verse, attempt or effort means intention of a person. Thus he gets the reward of his intention.”
Alam Nawab Siddeeq writes in his commentry of this verse,”A person whose maxim is that a man gets the bounty of only his own efforts is wrong. There are many reasons that justify this statement.
1. A man gets benefited by the prayers of others.
2. Muhammad (Sal allah ho alaihi wasallim) will intercede on the Day of Judgement and then admit people in heaven by intercession.
3. Blunderer will come out of Hell just by intercession.
4. Angels pray for the men on earth. They also pray for our veniality.
5. Allah will bring out some people from Hell who will have no good deed.
6. Offsprings of Muslims will enter into Heaven by the good deeds of their parents.
7. In “Tale of Two Orphans” Allah says,”These boys benefited because of their father.”
8. It is proven from Sunnah and Ijmah that corpse gets benefited by the charity of others
9. It is proven from Hadith that Hajj by the sire of corpse for him, will be considered to be the Hajj of the corpse.
10. A person was praying in aloof. Muhammad (sal allah ho alaihi wasallim) said to him,”Why doesn’t a person efforts to join in nimaz with other so that he may get the bounty of Jama’t.”
11. If people, on the advice of pious, forgive the indebted corpse, he (corpse) will be freed from debt.
12. One gets benefited before and after the death because of a pious neighbour.
13. In Hadith it is mentioned,”In the assembly of pious men, such a person was forgiven who did not remember Allah at all. He was forgiven just by sitting with pious.”
Thus one gets benefited by the efforts of others in Islam